The building on the left is No.20 on The Bund, formerly Sassoon House, today the Fairmont Peace Hotel.
It was built in 1929 by Sir Victor Sassoon, a British Sephardic Jew of Iraqi origin. Sassoon House was designed by Palmer & Turner Architects Limited, with a reinforced concrete structure. The building is ten storeys in height, partially thirteen storeys. It featured extensive use of straight lines in the exterior, with decorative patterns at pediments and eaves. Most of the building was faced with granite veneers, with the ninth floor and the roof surfaced with terracotta. The facade facing the Huangpu River and the Bund was decorated with a pyramidal roof with steep sides and a height of about 10 metres. The pyramid was faced with copper (which is now green).
After Liberation, in 1952 the building was taken over by the Municipal Government. In 1956 it resumed trading as a hotel under the name "Peace Hotel". In 1992 the Peace Hotel was listed as one of the famous hotels of the world by the World Hotel Association. In 2007, the hotel closed for a 3 year renovation and reopened in 2010 as the Fairmont Peace Hotel.
The building on the right is No.23 on The Bund, Bank of China Shanghai Branch building, built in 1937. This was the only building with Chinese traditional architectural style and designed by Chinese architects on the Bund. At the top is a huge square Chinese traditional green glazed tile roof, with sharp and projecting angles. The building exterior was granite-faced, and the eaves were decorated with stone brackets.
Public Transportation: Metro Line 2, 10; Bus No.: 20, 22, 37, 55, 65, 42, 126, 123, 135, 145, 251, 401, 910, 928